Wheelchair accessible vehicles

The Wheelchair Cars Group

0161 793 5934
7 Days a week 9am~8pm Any day including weekends.

Visit Us

Email; info@wheelchaircars.co.uk
Please advise us if you are coming over,.

Vehicle tax for disabled people

You may be entitled to a free tax disc if you’re a disabled person who gets the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, War Pensioners Mobility Supplement or have an invalid carriage.

Using the vehicle

To claim exemption from vehicle tax, the vehicle must be registered in your name or registered in the name of someone you nominate to drive for you (a nominee). The vehicle must only be used for your purposes, for example shopping or getting prescriptions. If it is being used by the nominee or someone else for their own personal needs, then the exemption will be lost and the normal rate of vehicle tax must be paid.

How to get an exemption certificate

Before you can get a free tax disc, you’ll need to apply for an exemption certificate from the agency that issues your benefit. The exemption certificate will show your name and that of the nominee if you have nominated someone to drive for you.

If you claim the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance

Contact the Disability Living Allowance Unit and ask for exemption certificate DLA 404. Disability Living Allowance Unit, Warbreck House, Warbreck Hill, Blackpool FY2 0YE Telephone: 0845 712 3456 Textphone: 0845 722 4433

If you claim the War Pensioners Mobility Supplement

Contact the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency and ask for exemption certificate WPA 442. Service Personnel and Veterans Agency, Norcross, Thornton-Cleveleys, Lancashire FY5 3GZ Telephone: 0800 169 2277 Textphone: 0800 169 3458

Taxing your vehicle in the disabled tax class

Get your free tax disc at a Post Office® branch that issues tax discs. You can renew it each year online, over the phone, in person or by post.

Changes in your circumstances

If you are in hospital for more than 28 days – or 84 days if you claim exemption for a child – the exemption from vehicle tax will still apply, as long as the vehicle continues to be used for your direct purposes. This applies even if you lose your entitlement to Disability Living Allowance as a result of your stay in hospital. If you sell the vehicle or your entitlement ends, you should return the disabled tax disc to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), Swansea SA99 1AL or your nearest DVLA local office. If you no longer qualify for vehicle tax exemption, you will need to tax your car in the appropriate tax class and pay the correct rate of vehicle tax.

Invalid carriages

You don’t need an exemption certificate to get a free tax disc for an invalid carriage. The vehicle must be registered in your name, weigh less than 509kg and be adapted, used or kept on a road for a disabled person. Your vehicle doesn’t need to be registered or display a tax disc if it weighs less than 113.4kg, is for footway use only and has a maximum speed of four mph. Return to home page Wheelchair accessible vehicles for sale
Contact us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Questions, issues or concerns? I'd love to help you!

Click ENTER to chat